Few movies have been so adept at providing easy metaphors for their own incompetence. But The Dark Knight, while doing this, eagerly does more: it presents itself as not just a comic book movie (though it is decidedly that); it is also an allegory, as thick as the Divine Comedy, for the present condition of America's debilitated relationship to the world.
It makes some interesting points, basically arguing that a lot of what happens in the movie (I think most of us have seen) has clear parallels in America's international relations, particularly the "War on Terror". I didn't really think about it this way, though I did notice (and feel a bit uncomfortable) by the use of the word "terrorist" to describe the Joker in the film...
To fight anarchy is to lose one's bearings, and to move one's own soul dangerously close to evil. Ah, but such is the price of superhero-dom—or, as The Dark Knight would also like us to believe, the War on Terror. The Joker is repeatedly referred to as a "terrorist," and he is made to resemble the men and women the United States calls terrorists. He captures police officers, tortures them, and then forces them to explain his own purpose on camera, much like the video of Daniel Pearl made by Khalid Sheikh Muhammed (KSM's video, it should be said, was more professional). The Joker's goal is to spread chaos amidst liberal civilization, to show the cultivated that their wealthy ideals can vanish when confronted by evil such as his.
And so the Joker, like other criminals in the film, is treated by Batman the way America treats terrorists: he is tortured.
5 comments:
I agree with the article in the main. But aren't blockbusters always moral makeweights for empire? Off the top of my head, recent examples would include Armedgeddon (USA saves the world) and Independence Day (US president saves the world!), whilst look at Rambo for a nice macho justification for counterinsurgency in Central America...
Since I'm not that taken with action sequeneces and CGI,I largely gave up blockbusters for this reason a long time ago - the main reason I went to see Batman was out of tribute to Heath Ledger, who I think was a genuinely talented actor. I guess the issue was that Batman posed, or desired, to be something different, as the writer states:
"But The Dark Knight, as nearly every film critic in America seems to agree, is not a conventional genre film. It desires the status of art. And so, watching it, you can't avoid noticing how it lays out its purpose in deadly earnest. Its chaos is expensively calculated, and it is not at all benign."
For me, the general rule is that if its a big summer blockbuster, assume that its imperialist propaganda - and usually really unsubtle and clumsy propaganda at that. Anything beyond that is a bonus.
One other point: the writer needs to consult a dictionary. The Joker a 'cheery anarchist'? His methods and modes of organising were inherently totalitarian - he was anything but an anarchist! Ironic to make such a mistake in an article about hidden agendas and unquestioned assumptions.
Insightful comment Matt!! you couldn't put it better.
I totally agree with you.
Hrmmm, I agree that it is often the case, but I think "always" is a little bit too strong. Like the newer Star Wars films and their critique of Bush, etc. (in my opinion, a bit unsubtle and clumsy)
Plus, the other interesting thing, I think, is that the Rambo series is always held up and critiqued being, well, exactly what you say... but the first film, First Blood, is not that at all (and it's quite good I think :). The other's are that "Let's slay some commies!!" genre, but anyways the original is not despite lot's of violence and weapons.
True, 'always' probably is a bit strong. And you're right about the first Rambo - I'd forgotten the sequence.
I've now completely finished The Wire, and though four days have passed I'm still recovering - can't get Baltimore out of my system. I'll try to write something about the show once I get the time.
http://www.technologyreview.com/read_article.aspx?ch=specialsections&sc=emerging08&id=20247
Reminded me of the batman cellphone scheme!
I'm on about episode 5 or 6 of the last season of the Wire.
Post a Comment