Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Neo-luddites and Michael's favourite authors

Whilst I was doing my usual and perusing through wikipedia entries on esoteric political movements, I stumbled upon this vignette concerning Kirkpatrick Sale, self-styled neo-luddite:

"Upon graduation, Sale married Faith Apfelbaum (Cornell, 1958) who later worked as an editor with Thomas Pynchon, Kurt Vonnegut, Joseph Heller and Amy Tan. She died in 1999.[5]"

See the full entry here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirkpatrick_Sale

Whilst we're on the subject of technology, I anticipate that I can now add this blog page to the ever-growing list of 'info-ports' that I plug into every day: my phone, ipod, itunes, bit-torrent, hotmail, LSE email, facebook, The Guardian/sport/football, BBC football, United We Stand, Red Rants, venezuelanalysis.com... Truly, information is now worse than crack. And like the crackheads on the streets of Kings Cross, we spend increasingly large amounts of time hankering and chasing after poor quality gear, and yet still we want more.

Right, can of worms officially opened. Back to The Wire...

3 comments:

Michael said...

haha, I feel at a loss for words, but that won't last long. Oh, and Pynchon I hate! Well, okay, I don't know his books well enough to hate, and I have no idea about him personally, but I couldn't get through 1/3 of Gravity's Rainbow...

SITNA said...

haha "can of worms" haha... I wonder if they are crispy too.

Anyway, I must admit that I am an internet junkie, and I will fight against those neo-luddites ;)

Michael said...

From the wikipedia entry...
'Sale has described personal computers as "the devil's work"[2] and in the past opened personal appearances by smashing one. During promotion of his 1995 book Rebels Against the Future: The Luddites and Their War on the Industrial Revolution Sale debated Newsweek Magazine senior editor and technology columnist Steven Levy "about the relative merits of the communications age."[13] However, Sale currently uses a computer in his secessionist organizing.[2]'

This is the kind of thing that annoys me!